Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Make bedding


I made a bunch of stuff for my bedroom. My roommate and I decided on the color scheme pink and green with accents of white and blue (turquoise). Once I started sewing...I just could not stop. These are all the products of a single summer.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



1. I quilted the largest pillow. It slips on the back. I just used leftover fabric from my quilt. The small square pillow was made from an old dress and leftover material from the duvet cover. The cylinder pillow was handsewn. I love making pillows. I don't want to overdo it though, I still need room to sleep on.


2. This was inspired by PB teens. They have these adorable foam boards for posting pictures, etc., but they're insanely overpriced. I just glued foam (they sell it in rolls at the crafts section) onto cardboard from my old science fair tri-folds. Then, I stretched fabric over top and hotglued it on. I made six small foam squares so I could rearrange them around my room. (Emily is my room mate in case you're wondering)


3. I have never quilted before. I mean...I made a baby blanket in 7th grade Home Economics class but other than that. Quilting is a bit foreign. It's an investment. Cutting boards are expensive, then you need a good ruler and rotary cutter. I started off buying a quilt from Anthropologie but it was too yellow for my room so I returned it and made this.

First, I watched a you tube video on quilting to figure out how it worked. Then, two days later, I was finished. I am a really quick sewer. I mixed a lot of patterns because I didn't want a boring, old cat lady quilt. I used embroidery thread to make a flower on the corner. Overall, I'm satified with my first quilt!


4. My quilt is kind of thin, so I figured I should make a duvet cover as well. I love this collection they have at Target with peonies. I'm obsessed with peonies. They sold fabric (non-vinyl) shower curtains of this fabric so I bought a couple of them. I make this duvet cover out of the shower curtain. I added pillow cases to the bottom because it wasn't long enough. The other side is a flat sheet. The shower curtain is convenient because it already had slits at the top so I could use them as button holes. They actually sell this comforter set for $70+ but I only spend about $30 and I can remove remove the cover and wash it.


I love my room! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment